Stand-up: Compering & Crowd Work (1 day)
About The Course
In this practical one day workshop in the west end of London, 14 places. (3 LEFT). Chris's coaching and directing skills are complemented and backed up by Geoff Whiting's unrivalled experience emceeing thousands of gigs and events. You will explore the role of the compere, the tricks and tools of the best comperes and how to execute your role with skill and creativity. You will also work on crowd work skills which will serve you as an act too. For newcomers these comprehensive sessions will set you up to MC your own club and/or to MC on the circuit. If you are compering already this course will sharpen and develop your skills and increase your range of approaches. Find out too how to get MC gigs and build your compering career.
In discussion, Q&A and practical work at the microphone we will cover:
- The role of the compere across a night from beginning to end.
- Strategies for ad-libbing and chatting with the audience.
- Deal with difficult audience members and putting people 'back in their box'.
- Reading the room and how to adjust what you to do according to the room.
- How different kinds of nights and events call for different approaches.
- Ways to warm the audience up.
- When and how to bring in material.
- How to get a tough audience onside.
- Recover a room after an act has done badly or something has gone wrong.
- Setting things up for the comics.
- Ensuring the audience have a good time.
- Corporate and event compere opportunities.
- Games you can play with the audience.
- The gigging opportunities open to comperes.
- Moving into related areas such as compering corporate events and TV warm-up.
With opportunities to practice your compering in the sessions and to try out various approaches, you'll receive direct and helpful feedback on your emceeing and crowd work.
- Full price£95£950£0
- Deposit only£50£500£0